The birds are chirping, the sun is shining, and the flowers are starting to bloom. For us parents, that can only mean one thing: it’s time for spring-cleaning! Some of you might be tickled pink at the thought of being able to “purge” and start fresh, while others may be dreading the upcoming hassle of cleaning every square inch of your home.
Whatever your feelings about spring-cleaning may be, we want to help make it easy, inexpensive, and safe for your whole family. Here are some tips for getting organized, a great recipe for safe cleaning, and a list of products you can find around your home to make it sparkle like new.
TIPS FOR ORGANIZING:
- Make a list. Throughout the year, make note of things you notice need to be organized and make a plan. That way, when spring arrives, you’ll already know what needs to be done (install more shelves, purchase new bins, set a donation pick-up date, etc.).
- Start with one room at a time. Jumping from room-to-room will take twice as long and can easily distract you from the task at hand.
- Plan to purge. If your only game plan is to organize all your stuff without getting rid of anything, you will end up with bins and closets full of junk. Free yourself from clutter, and make room for the stuff that really matters.
- Clean with a cause. If you approach spring- cleaning with donating in mind, you’ll be more motivated to give up all those “just in case” items you’ve been holding on to for years.
- Listen to up-beat music. Your favorite tunes will get you in the rhythm of cleaning, and who knows, it could even make cleaning FUN (don’t roll your eyes)!
- Get your family involved. Assign tasks to each member of your family and provide them with their own checklists.
- Reward yourself and your family. Once your whole family has completed their tasks, reward everyone with a night out at a favorite restaurant.
GREEN CLEANING PRODUCTS FOUND AROUND YOUR HOME:
- Baking Soda
- White Vinegar
- Olive Oil
- Washing Soda
- Castile Soap
- Essential Oils (optional)
Make Your Own Natural All-Purpose Cleaner:
- 1 C White Vinegar
- 1 Lemon, squeezed*
- 2 C Water
- 1/2 t Castile Soap
Simply mix the ingredients together, spray, and wipe clean.
* Disclaimer – take caution before using lemon on some surfaces because it can be used as a natural bleach. Try testing it out on a hidden area first.